Sunday, November 9, 2014

This November 13th: NOT Just Another Day


So, The Hope-JG Foundation is hosting what promises to be an amazing event on Thursday, November 13th. We are blessed to host the folks from HARK and their documentary "Hope on the Horizon". To view the trailer and get ticket info, go to: www.hope-JG.org

Linda was setting up my morning tube feed a few days ago. She has pattern that carries her between my "Starship Enterprise" setup in the living room and the kitchen. On this day, headed for the kitchen, she stopped in her tracks and said "You realize what November 13th is, don't you?" To which I replied with my typical stupid male, wide eyed look and said "Umm, no." She smiled her irresistible smile and said "It's the day you were diagnosed with ALS seven years ago." And we both fought back tears and then started to smile again. You see, our minds both connect November 13th to the date my Dad died - 8 years ago on November 13th.

Now, I miss my Dad desperately. But, I'm convinced his handling of his own handicap (he had one of the first artificial hip replacements while in the service. I never knew him without a cane), with such grace and tenacity, prepared me for this long strange trip my family is on.

As for my diagnosis on that date, I don't look at that as anything other than a triumphant date. Those of you who know us are tired of hearing how we refused to accept the prognosis of 2 - 5 years (later to be shortened to 18 - 24 months by the second opinion Doctor in Boston). 

So, you ask, what does this Gregorian coincidence have to do with the Event this Thursday? Here's my take: Most people would look at the events of November 13th, 2006/2007 and think they were horrendous anniversary days no one would want to get out of bed for. I look at it differently. (Surprise.)

My Dad lived a full life and left a living legacy in not just his two sons, but in literally thousands of students and athletes he touched in his 30+ years of teaching and coaching, many of whom became researchers, nurses and physicians. He was a living example of Steve Gleason's motto, "No White Flags". As for the day of my diagnosis, given the 18 - 24 month timeframe handed to Linda and I a month later, it's a date for celebration, not despair, seven years later.

And that's exactly what this Thursday will be, a celebration of the lives of some our ALS heroes and those with ALS who have passed on but left their own unique and indelible mark on their families and the world. More importantly, it will be a celebration of life, with and without ALS. "Hope on the Horizon" is the perfect film to reinforce our willingness to honor families with ALS, past, present and future. It's also a perfect compliment to our mission to see an ALS/MS Residence here in Maine. It's the future and the future starts Thursday night when the doors open at 6:45 PM . If you can't join us, will you share this with a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment